Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I Was the Emporer of Pupekea

I was the emperor of Pupekea
Twice, in its gentle bosom,
The green lands west, Hawai'i,
Driving into the sun
Set above
Sailed down and sauntered to a marble ocean blue,
Blue and blue sky,
Hawai'i so blue as she is.
I was emperor of the blue realm.

Of Pupekea I saw with imperial eyes,
Spying the end of the West and the day,
The emperor robed in bright and orange,
A gift of the happy sun untied in the western sky,
Afternoon boon,
On my throne,
Knowing well
The East was shrouded in its dark darkness,
Had swallowed the Buddha,
I learned with crying imperial eyes.
It was a bright hot morning,
My bamboo bong and telephone
Told me of his demise.

I practiced the arts as emperor of Pupekea.
Windy with spirits and divine indifference,
My magic was poor,
But I am not a high priest,
Just high enough to write imperial poetry
And smile in Pupekea
While I wave goodbye,
For I was emperor in a grand time.

No comments: